Compassion For My Clients.
Tenacity In The Courtroom.
Anita R. Powers
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Wills, Deeds, Power of Attorneys
Anita R. Powers is a resident of Wallace, North Carolina. She attended Duplin County Schools and graduated from Wallace-Rose Hill High School in 1978. She continued her education at UNC at Charlotte and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science in May, 1981. She entered North Carolina Central University School of Law in 1981 and graduated in May, 1984 with a Juris Doctorate degree. Her first legal position was as an Assistant District Attorney for the 12th Judicial District, covering Cumberland and Hoke counties. She remained there until she became a partner in the law firm, Baker and Powers, in Lexington, North Carolina in 1986. After eight years, she returned to her hometown and opened her own law practice. She began her practice in Wallace, North Carolina in January 1995 and although she is a general practitioner, her main areas of practice are family law, criminal and traffic law. She has been practicing law for over thirty-five years. In her business she has helped countless clients with their legal issues, some, on a pro bono basis.
Ms. Powers has been involved in various organizations and committees. She is currently serving in her third term as Chair of the Board of Trustees for James Sprunt Community College and as a member of the Duplin County Elections Board. She previously served on the N. C. State Board of Community Colleges and as an elected official on the Duplin County Board of Commissioners, representing District 5. She volunteers as a Judge with the Duplin County Teen Court, is a life member of the Duplin County Branch of the NAACP, a Diamond Life Member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Duplin County Alumnae Chapter and served as Chair of the Regional Nominating Committee for the South Atlantic Region covering NC, SC, VA and Bermuda (2011-2014). She is a past Board Member of Duplin County Economic Development and the Eastpointe County Commissioner Advisory Committee.
Ms. Powers has been a presenter at churches and organizations on various legal and social issues.
Current Employment Position
- Sole Practitioner
- Baker & Powers, Attorneys, Partner, 1986 to 1994
- District Attorney Office 12th District, Assistant District Attorney, 1984 to 1986
- North Carolina Association of Black Lawyers
- Duplin County Bar
- Board of Trustees for James Sprunt Community College (Chair)
- Directors Council, Vidant Duplin Hospital (Member)
- Duplin County Board of Elections (Member)
- Duplin County Board of Commissioners, District 5, 2012 to 2016
- Member, N. C. State Board of Community Colleges, 2008 to 2009
- Diamond Life Member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Duplin County Alumnae Chapter
- Life member of the Duplin County Branch of the NAACP
- Duplin County Economic Development (Past Member)
- Eastpointe County Commissioner Advisory Committee (Past Member)
- Regional Nominating Committee for the South Atlantic Region covering NC, SC, VA and Bermuda (Chair), 2011 to 2014
- North Carolina, 1984
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- Honors: Dean's List
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science